Monday, September 12, 2011

Ultraviolet: Purple Crease Shadow Tutorial

As I mentioned in a previous post, I said I'd get around to doing a purple crease eyeshadow tutorial using the ELF Studio Endless Eyes Palette, and here it is! :D


You're going to need:

1. Eyeshadow Primer
2. ELF Studio Endless Eyes Palette (or similar shades of purple eyeshadow)
3. Black Pencil Eyeliner
4. Black Liquid Eyeliner
5. Black Mascara
6. False Eyelashes (optional)

Here are the colors I'll be using in the palette:



1. lavender base shade
2. off-white shimmer highlight shade
3. bluish-purple crease shade
4. deep purple crease shade
5. black outer corner shade

I begin by applying primer to the eyelid.  This palette is moderately pigmented without primer, but with primer, the colors really pop!


Next, I'm going to apply the lavender base shade to my entire lid  to the brow bone.


Then, I add the shimmery, off-white highlight shade over my brow bone, accenting my brow arch.


Using a black eyeliner pencil, I'm going to line my top and bottom lid lines.  Then I'm going to smudge and smoke black eyeshadow right over the pencil eyeliner.  You can use the black shadow from the palette.


Since I'm not very experienced at doing crease shading yet, I'm going to use liquid liner to draw a wing along my top lid line.  The tip of the wing will serve as a boundary for my crease.  I'm not going to want to shade past the wing tip.


Using a crease brush, I'm going to pick up some of the bluish-purple crease shade from the palette.  Starting at the outer corner of my eye, right at the hollow of my brow bone, I'm going to begin shading a tapered line towards the inner corner of my eye.  The color should start out bold towards the outer corner and fade towards the inner corner.


Next, using my ELF Studio Contour brush, I'm going to dip into the deep purple crease color and shade along the crease line I've already created to deepen the color.  What I want to do is create a gradient with dark purple at the outer corner of my eye fading to a lighter purple towards the inner corner of my eye.


I'm also going to accent my bottom lid line with the same deep purple shade using my contour brush.


For added drama, I'm going to add some black shadow to the outer corners of my eyes.


Once I've completed this step, I should have a really defined crease with a nice gradient going from dark purple to lavender.  Technically, I think this would be called outer-v crease shading since I've created a sort of "v" shape along the outer corner of my eye.

Using black liquid eyeliner, I'm going to re-define my winged line.


To finish, I curl my lashes, add mascara, and apply false eyelashes for a dramatic look.  This step is optional, but I've outlined how to do it and what style eyelashes I used in a previous post.


Overall look:


Additional makeup info:

Brows:
1. ELF Studio Brow Kit in Medium

Face:
1. CG Smoothers Aqua Tinted Moisturizer in Light to Medium (as much as I loved the ELF tinted moisturizer, it made me break out after using it for a week)
2. ELF Studio Complete Coverage Concealer in Light
2. ELF Studio Matifying Translucent Powder
3. ELF Studio Blush in Pink Passion

Lips:
1. ELF Studio Lip Lock Pencil
2. ELF Studio Matte Lip Color in Natural
3. ELF Studio Glossy Gloss in Pink Candy

Hope this has been helpful and have a happy Monday! :)

Hugs,
Cat

7 comments:

  1. Lovely look!

    The ELF palette is awfully well pigmented. I have yet to use my Elf palette because when I first got it, it had this weird smell. So it kind of scared me. Lol. XD

    I've been meaning to ask.. do you like the ELF studio concealer? I am kind of interested..but I wasn't too sure. Thought I'd ask your opinion first before deciding anything. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi my Kuri! :D Thanks for the compliment. It's so weird how your smelled...I don't think Chiri and I had that problem. :/ Does it still smell weird? You should try contacting them about it, I hear they have decent customer service.

    Anywho, I really like the concealer so far. I've been using it for over a week now. I got it in the Light color to use as a brightener and highlighter. I'm thinking about getting it in the Medium palette also to actually use as a concealer. It's only $3, though, so it wouldn't hurt to try. I'll let you check mine out next time you're over if you want to test it before buying. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I love this look, you look absolutely gorgeous! I've never been able to succeed with a crease color... I just don't have the touch I guess. :( So I settle with a one color eye shadow most of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Jennifer! It takes a lot of practice, I'm just starting to get the hang of it, lol. It's pretty intense-looking in real life, though. I'm sure the people at the grocery store thought I was crazy. Haha. I think it's safe to stick with monochrome shadow for every day wear.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just went to go smell it. No, it doesn't anymore! :o What a surprise. I can use it now! I hope it's safe to. XD

    Coolios. True, it wouldn't hurt to spare $3.. lol. Gotta love ELF for its products and prices. :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. @miniTofu: haha, cool! if you want to be sure, just smear a little primer on your inner wrist and swatch some shadow over it. if you wake up in the morning and it's okay, then you'll probably be fine. ELF is one of my faves! I'm about to place another order online...help! I'm addicted!

    @Lacey: thank you thank you! :D

    ReplyDelete