Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Tutorial: Clean Purple Shadow with Tape

I was fooling around on the web when I found some inspirations for a clean shadow look utilizing scotch tape.  It looked like so much fun that I decided to try it this morning.  This is a first for me, so forgive me if it doesn't look the greatest, but have fun following along anyway. :D

I start with a primed eye:

Urban Decay Primer Potion in Eden

Then I'm going to grab a piece of invisible tape and place it along the outer corner of my upper lid, following the natural angle of my bottom lid line.  I'm using the translucent, matte tape which is less sticky, therefore less permanent, making it easier to remove later.

Scotch brand Invisible Tape

I'm going for a purple theme, so I'm just going to use 3 shades from my old Urban Decay palette for simplicity's sake.

Asphyxia, Last Call, and Grind

I apply Asphyxia, a medium-bright lilac with moderate shimmer, to my entire lid.




 Next, I'm going to add Last Call, a shimmery, deep purple-wine shade, to the outer corner.  The outermost corner will be where the color is darkest and will fade approaching the center of the lid.




 I carefully remove the tape by peeling it upwards.  See the nice clean line?  It adds a lot of drama while utilizing just a little color.



Using Grind, a pale pink shimmer with chunky silver glitter, I'm going to highlight the arch of my brow.

Oops, some glitter chunks caught on my lashes.

Then I'm going to line my top lid with black liner, lining the bottom lid halfway with black on the outer corner and halfway with silver on the inner corner.

HIP Color Chrome eyeliner in Black Shock and Silver Lightning

I'm going to layer some Grind over the silver liner on the inner bottom corner.




Then I'm going to layer black shadow over the black eyeliner, making sure to smudge for a soft, smokey look.  No winged liner necessary for once, the clean shadow line adds enough drama.



Add mascara and I'm done!


Not bad for my first time.  It's soft, but striking.  I'd love to experiment with darker and bolder colors for sure!





No comments:

Post a Comment