Sunday, April 8, 2012

On The BB Cream Bandwagon

Ok, so a couple of (sort of) exciting things this weekend.  Let's start with the obvious.  I had my first experience using bb cream as a makeup base.  I admit...I really like the results:

Missha M Perfect Cover BB Cream #23 Natural Beige set with MAC Studio Fix C3

I know bb cream has existed FOREVER and I've been so reluctant to hop on that bandwagon.  C'mon...bb cream vs. tinted moisturizer...what's the difference, right?  Well, after trying bb cream for the first time, I found that there was quite a difference between the two.  So, let's get into the nitty gritty:


On the left, we have my current favorite, CG Smoothers Tinted Moisturizer SPF 15.  On the right, we have the contender, Missha brand M Perfect Cover BB Cream SPF 42.  Sigh.  I'm a big believer in sun protection, hence I'm already partially won over by Missha's bb cream.



CG Smoothers on left, Missha BB Cream on right.  Taken in natural window light.

A couple things about characteristics in terms of how these two products differ.  CG Smoothers has a peachier, warmer cast whereas Missha BB Cream is ashier in color.  There should be 3 shades available in this particular product, I chose the darkest (which is hardly dark at all) which was #23 Natural Beige.  I was really concerned that the bb cream would make me look sallow and pasty, however, that didn't happen at all and I feel that as long as you set it with the correct shade of powder, this is not likely to be a problem.

CG Smoothers gives extremely sheer coverage and is fairly fragrance-free.  It's a very light-feeling base, however, if used alone without setting powder, it looks as if you're pretty much not wearing any foundation at all, it's THAT sheer.

Missha BB Cream has a creamier, thicker consistency and gives pretty decent coverage.  I found that I didn't have to use concealer when using this product.  Honestly, if you prefer a dewy glow, I think you can even skip setting powder with this bb cream.  I prefer a more matte look, therefore I set my bb cream base using MAC Studio Fix in C3.  This product also has a very pleasant, light floral fragrance that reminds me of luxury skincare product lines, which I really enjoyed.  Also, kudos for the high sun protection factor at a whopping SPF 42!

As far as differences in pricing, CG Smoothers sells for about $6.50 for 40ml of product whereas Missha BB Cream costs about double, at $6.90 for 20ml, which I don't think is that bad at all.  This leads me to the second exciting thing I wanted to share!

Ever heard of Cosmetic Love?  If not, I'm super stoked to introduce it to you!  I learned about this online makeup boutique from my sister.  They sell an amazing variety of Asian brand cosmetic products, mostly of Korean and Japanese origin.  It's like the Sephora of the east!  And, what's better: FREE WORLDWIDE SHIPPING on all orders, no minimums.  Is that amazing or what?!  I ordered my bb cream and received it in about a week.  I was so happy I could cry!  I cannot wait to order more products to try out!  Yay!

Hope some of you found this post useful and informative!  Happy Easter and enjoy the rest of your Sunday!

Hugs,
Cat

7 comments:

  1. Oh you have such gorgeous skin! I am so jelly :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks Stef! You just made my day! :)

      Delete
  2. Ahhhh! you don't know how happy I am that you posted that link! I've been trying a lot of BB creams available here in north america and I find that even the lightest shade is either too dark or too yellow for me. I'm hoping that since the asian bb creams a bit more pale, that it would suit me better. I'm just terrible at finding stores with decent priced products and it looks like I've found it, thanks to you! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I'm so glad that this post was helpful! I LOVE Cosmetic Love. They have an excellent selection of BB creams. I hope you find the perfect one for you! :D

      Delete
  3. Ooh, thanks for sharing that website! I've been wanting to try some bb creams :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure! Loving my BB cream! I can't wait to try out some of their eyebrow products as well as blushes! :D

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the link to Cosmetic Love, I can't wait to check it out! I've been using BB cream since I stopped having breakouts but still have an issue with hyperpigmentation, and my go-to one is the hot pink skin79 bottle. But it's got a greyish tint to it that takes a few minutes to oxidize to my skin tone (pinky-fair) so I've been wanting to check out a few others! :)

    ReplyDelete